About the opportunity
Do you enjoy walking and exploring Leicester? Do you also want to encourage more people to get out on foot and be more active? Then this volunteer opportunity could be for you! We are looking for new people to join our team of Walk Volunteers who lead short walks in Leicester for the general public. We are especially need people who can help this summer at evening walks (6-7pm) on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and/or help at daytime walks on occasional weekends. We also have some walks taking place during daytime on weekdays. All our volunteers receive training. Our next volunteer Walk Leader training course will be in mid autumn 2019 (date tbc). Please read on for full information about the role and to apply.
We are looking for volunteer Walk Leaders and Walk Assistants to help us provide 'group Walks' in Leicester for the general public. These group walks are short (usually 30-90 minutes). Some walks take place weekly for 4-6 weeks, whilst others are one-off themed walks. The role is flexible and you can pick which days and dates you are available to assist (we don’t expect you to attend all the walks, but ideally we like volunteers to help at least twice a month).
The walks are suitable for most people and take in anything from city streets and residential areas to the suburbs and green spaces. As a Walk Leader/ Assistant you will inspire participants by sharing your enthusiasm for walking and exploring locally. You will lead/assist with a series of local walks starting and finishing at a specified venue (routes will be provided). Walk Leader Training will also be provided.
The project aims to encourage people to increase their walking activity and to make short journeys on foot.
We are looking for people who are good with people, enthusiastic about walking and are keen to share this passion with others. Walk leaders and assistants will also need to be:
- Good verbal communicators and happy to interact face-to-face.
- Enthusiastic about walking and keen to share this with others.
- Empathetic, open-minded and non-judgemental.
- Understanding of the need for confidentiality.
- Able to work collaboratively in a team with other volunteers and staff
- Able to follow simple route descriptions/maps and follow guidance from the volunteer manager
- Comfortable using email, as volunteer communications are sent via email
- Willing to travel to walks in different parts of the city (we encourage our volunteers to travel to walks sustainably - on foot, by bike or by bus, where possible). All our walks are accessible by public transport.
We have a Volunteer Walk Leader training course in mid autumn 2019 (date tbc). Please express your interest by contacting Sara Coy at email@example.com or phoning 0116 373 7589
- Age restrictions
Volunteers must be 18 or over to lead a walk.