Older people spending Christmas in one of Leicester’s Hospitals will once again receive a gift bag this year, donated by the generous local community.
‘Making Christmas Special’ is a collaborative campaign between Leicester’s Hospitals, Age UK Leicester Shire & Rutland and Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust (LPT). Every year, there are patients too ill to leave hospital and spend Christmas Day with their loved ones. ‘Making Christmas Special’ aims to spread a little festive cheer to older patients who will be spending Christmas in one of Leicester’s Hospitals. Now in its seventh year, the campaign is encouraging the local community to donate a small gift bag that will be distributed by hospital staff and volunteers to older patients on Christmas Day.
In 2018, the public of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland showed a fantastic amount of generosity by donating over 1,500 gifts. In past years, the campaign has been so successful that donated gifts exceeded the need in Leicester’s Hospitals and could be shared with some community hospitals. There are gift tags to download and packaging and gift guidelines on the Leicester Hospitals website.
Tony Donovan, Executive Director at Age UK Leicestershire & Rutland, added: “This campaign makes an enormous difference to older patients who have to spend Christmas in hospital and the generosity of the community always brings a smile to their face. We’re delighted to be working with Leicester’s Hospitals and Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust to bring the Christmas spirit to what could otherwise be a lonely time. Our shops and resource centres will act as donation points across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland for anyone who would like to offer a small gift.”
So how can you donate?
It’s really simple!
- 1. Visit the website of Leicester’s Hospitals (https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/our-news/making-christmas...) or Age UK (www.ageukleics.org.uk) to download and print a gift tag
- 2. Write your message on the gift tag and tick whether the gift is suitable for a man, suitable for a woman, or suitable for anyone.
- 3. Attach the tag to a small gift bag containing unwrapped gifts such as lip balm, hand lotion, slipper socks, bed socks, biscuits, sweets, cereal bars, hot chocolate or coffee sachets, pens, pencils, and puzzle books. The websites have a full list of what could be donated and what we cannot accept.
- 4. Take your gift bag/s to the main receptions at the Royal Infirmary, General or Glenfield Hospital or to any Age UK Leicester Shire & Rutland shop or resource centre in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
- 5. Donations can be made throughout November and up until Friday 13th December 2019.