About the opportunity
While sleeping rough is the most visible form of homelessness, the causes and consequences of having nowhere stable to live are often much more complicated. That’s why we’ve developed a recovery based approach for our clients, focusing on addressing the issues a person faces to help them move on with their lives.
A big part of this is encouraging clients to engage with activities and training, either in the accommodation where they live or through our Recovery Colleges. The Recovery College supports people who have been homeless or are at risk of homelessness to rebuild their lives and fulfil their potential through learning skills, training and sustained employment.
As a Guitar Group Volunteer you will be leading lessons/sessions for our clients. Tasks may include teaching guitar directly to clients or facilitating a music session for clients. This would be a two hour session one day a week.
We recognise the impact that music can have in our client’s recovery and the benefits it can have for wellbeing. This will be a fantastic opportunity to share your passion, enthusiasm and skills with a diverse group of people with lived experience of homelessness. We believe that everyone has strengths and you need to be able to facilitate sessions in a way which are inclusive and empowering. If you have a talent for playing guitar and a passion for teaching we would love to hear from you.
Volunteers must meet the following criteria:
- A passion and enthusiasm for music.
- Ability to see the best in people and to motivate individuals in a learning environment.
- Have good communication skills with a friendly and calm manner.
- Understanding of the causes of homelessness and its impact.
- Ability to work with people who may have offending behaviour, substance use and/or mental health, with sensitivity and respect. We particularly welcome applicants with experience of using and moving on from support services.
- Willingness to attend training to develop you in your volunteer role.
- References needed
- Willing to take a DBS Check
- Accepts ex/offenders