About the opportunity
Volunteering with Living Without Abuse can be a very rewarding experience and you will gain many useful personal and professional skills, as well as making a huge and positive difference to victims of domestic and sexual violence. LWA work together with Women’s Aid and Freeva to form United Against Violence and Abuse (UAVA) We deliver domestic abuse and sexual violence support for survivors across Leicester Leicestershire and Rutland.We work with women, men and children offering support in areas including high risk, outreach including family support, refuge, helpline and group work We offer opportunities for volunteers across our services that may include
- Helpline Advisers for our Domestic and Sexual Violence Helpline
- Outreach support workers within both adult and family service, including group provision
- Refuge support
- IDVA / ISVA support
- Perpetrator program support
We will offer a six-week training package (one day per week) and induction so that when you start volunteering you will feel confident and supported. Further training opportunities will be offered throughout the year as well as supervision sessions.Volunteering in this type of role requires commitment and consistency. Ideally you need to be able to give a minimum of 4 hours a week on a regular basis for up to a year. Arrangement of time is flexible.
Travel and other out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed to all volunteers.
- References needed
- Willing to take a DBS Check
We are looking for individuals who wish to help provide support to vulnerable survivors.
Full training will be given but some skills will be beneficial, including:
- Listening and the ability to communicate well with a variety of people is essential
- Punctuality, reliability and a commitment to volunteering
- Ability to empathise and be non-judgmental
- Prior knowledge of domestic and/or sexual violence is desirable, but not essential as training is provided.