About the opportunity
While sleeping rough is the most visible form of homelessness, the causes and consequences of having nowhere stable to live are often much more complicated. That’s why we’ve developed a recovery based approach for our clients, focusing on addressing the issues a person faces to help them move on with their lives.
A big part of this is encouraging clients to engage with activities and training, either in the accommodation where they live or through our Recovery Colleges. The Recovery College supports people who have been homeless or are at risk of homelessness to rebuild their lives and fulfil their potential through learning skills, training and sustained employment. We are very excited to be opening a Recovery College in Leicester and the service will open from mid January.
As an Art Group Volunteer you will be facilitating a two hour art session, one day a week, with groups of clients guided by St Mungo’s values.
We believe that everyone has strengths, and you need to be able to facilitate sessions in a way that are inclusive and empowering. Working with the clients, you can design the art sessions to meet the needs of the participants, and take a creative approach to how these are facilitated. If you have a talent or passion for art and are confident in leading a group this could well be the volunteer role for you! This will be a fantastic opportunity to share your skills and passion with a diverse group of people with a lived experience of homelessness.
Volunteers must meet the following criteria:
• Experience of, or an interest in, leading art groups.
• Confidence in leading a group.
• Have good communication skills with a friendly and calm manner.
• Understanding of the causes of homelessness and its impact.
• Ability to work with people who may have offending behaviour, substance use and/or mental health, with sensitivity and respect. We particularly welcome applicants with experience of using and moving on from support services.
• Willingness to attend training to develop you in your volunteer role.
- References needed
- Willing to take a DBS Check
- Accepts ex/offenders